Tuesday, December 30, 2008

the first shoe...

After more than a year of relative calm and quiet, it looks like I am dealing with my first serious member illness and very likely immanent death. (I say that knowing this is a relatively anonymous blog.) It's pancreatic cancer. Sadly, not good statistics for remission. And she's an elderly lady as well, though fairly spunky. She was diagnosed last week and the family is still reeling. She's been released from the hospital to the skilled nursing facility of the nursing home/retirement community where she and her husband live. I won't speculate at this point about what that means.
I haven't even been a part of a funeral other than observer. While I don't mind them, I fret about saying the wrong thing. While that may be putting the cart before the horse, the truth is, it's just about certain to come sooner rather than later--hers or someone else's.
Prayers for Spirit intervention--for me and them--are coveted as we continue on this journey.

2 comments:

Sarah S-D said...

blessings, rivkah, as you care for the family and proclaim the gospel through this time. i found end of life care and funerals to be the most sacred privileges of my ministry. i loved them. i miss them. if i can be of help... don't hesitate to e-mail.

just love them... listen to them... and reflect back what you're hearing woven together with a witness to the resurrection... all shall be well.

Sista Cala said...

A few years ago I was asked to assist in the funeral service of a dear friend of mine. We were the same age. She was diagnosed with kidney cancer in June and died in November. We were the same age.

I had never spoken at a funeral much less been the main speaker. I was a bit apprehensive, but committed to doing my best. So, I prayed and asked others to pray for me.

Long story short, I prepared the sermon part just as I would for any occasion and prayed for the Holy Spirit to guide me in the delivery.

Truly, He is faithful to strengthen and guide in the most difficult times.