Thursday, October 04, 2007

Another Hurdle Jumped

I meant to get to this earlier, but it's been busy around here since we're gearing up for a move and new jobs, etc.
I did have a good meeting with the COM sub-committee. They were gracious and asked good and tough questions, though not in a malicious sort of way. They asked the "usual" questions that all PCUSA candidates can probably expect these days, but they were done in a gracious, even almost off-hand, "you know we gotta ask" sort of way. The committee chair even made a point of telling me that he thought I handled myself well.
So, now I just have to make it through the presbytery meeting at the end of this month. I have to give a sermon (using an old one, so I've already got it covered) and 'the Four Questions.' Which I hear I'm supposed to get in advance so I can have some time to mull them over. That's good. I'm not so good at thinking on my feet. I get all flustered and babble and repeat myself a lot. Makes me look pretty flaky, which, really, I'm not... usually.
Now the biggest thing in front of us is getting pre-approved for a mortgage. We're first-time buyers! Yikes. The PNC has already given us the name of a realtor they trust to help us out, so that's something we don't have to worry about. We're pretty excited. It's such a great area and has lots of opportunities for all of us. P was the one I worried aboutmost, but he seems to be the most excited. Though, I think that's partly the army brat in him; he gets restless in one place too long.
I'm hoping my start date will be the first Sunday in Advent. New church year, new job, new town, it's all rather symbolic. We'll be in town long enough before that that I can get settled, find child care for L, get a few things unpacked, and be in the office for a week before I start preaching.
It seems crazy that so much change will happen before the end of the year.

1 comment:

Teri said...

woohoo!

Check with your realtor about loan officers he/she likes to work with. That was definitely what saved me in the midst of the craziness of buying a house.